Saturday, October 24, 2009

Childsplay... progress


Through this project I wanted to create non wearable, hand held objects which encouraged the viewer to experience and touch the object. My initial inspiration came from childrens toys and play objects. I wanted to avoid getting bogged down with aesthetics, which so often happens in creating jewellery objects for adults. I wanted to get back to the fundamentals of what makes objects appealing. As children, what we are attracted to in objects are really the simplest aspects. For example, colour, shine, texture and finish. I feel these elements essentially remain unchanged for adults, even if our tastes mature. Childrens objects and toys are essentially designed to invite the child to touch, grab, play. Most objects have moving parts or varying textures. In essence, they are interesting for the hands.

 

In these pieces I wanted to reflect these aspects, but at the same time add a sense of sophistication. That is why I chose to introduce the metal base. I really wanted to produce objects which sit comfortably in the hand, and that encourage the holder/wearer to explore the piece, with the eyes and the hands.

 

I chose to encase the piece in resin, as I noticed such a strong pattern of the use of highly shiny plastic finishes in kids toys. I did some experimentation with material, and found that this was the most successful way of maintaining the hand shaped form while at the same time adding form and volume. The shape fits in the hand, and has small openings, which encourage the hand to enter into the piece and explore it. The felt material choice for the inside of the piece came about as an exploration of tactility. I started noticing the things that I was drawn to touch and feel, and realized that in fact I seem to use my hands for exploration more than I had previously realized. I tried to translate this experience into the pieces. It was really important to me that the pieces incorporated moving parts, as I feel they are such playful pieces and allowing them to remain static almost takes away from this. I also chose to give the outside casing a matt finish. I feel like this makes the pieces more accessible and comfortable.

 

The completed pieces speak for themselves, they have a a playful air, and an almost mysterious feel. I love the fact that they aren’t really anything! And they have the desired effect in the way that everyone that comes past wants to pick up and touch them. I think that has been the most interesting part to this project; watching how people perceive and interact with them. There are so many different textures and feels to the pieces, and the moving parts help create more of an experience.

 

These are the pieces still under construction.




No comments:

Post a Comment